Shifting Gears 2020
- Who: All rising 7th grade Kilmer Middle School students
- What: Kilmer Middle School transition program
- Where: Kilmer Middle School
Session Dates (Students may only participate in one session)
- Session 1: Monday, July 20 & Tuesday, July 21, from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 2: Wednesday, July 22 & Thursday, July 23, from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 3: Monday, July 27 & Tuesday, July 28, from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
- Session 4: Wednesday, July 29 & Thursday, July 29, from 8:00 a.m. – 3:00 p.m.
7th grade class schedules and locker assignments will not be available during this porgram.
The Middle School Student
Middle School Strategies
Tools of Technology
Registration will open on Monday, March 2nd at 9 am. Limited Space is available.
School Contact: Kaitlin Walsleben (Program Director)
Transportation must be provided by parents/guardians.
What exactly is Shifting Gears? Shifting Gears is a transition program to help rising 7th graders adjust to middle school and feel more comfortable with the change. The program focuses on helping students make new friends from different schools, learning how to effectively work in a group with students from diverse backgrounds, become proficient at their locker, and learn and understand middle school expectations and rules.
Will lunch be provided? On the first day, no lunch will be provided, however we will have an ice cream social. On the second day, we will have a pizza party, but students are welcome to bring snacks or other items for lunch.
What impact has Shifting Gears had on students coming to Kilmer? Shifting Gears has had a positive impact on both students and staff! Here’s what our students are saying: “I was so glad to learn about the PAWS class. I didn’t know what that was about. I also liked that I got to meet some of the teachers before school started!” “We had so much fun! I liked that we were able to talk about our “fears” and “cheers” of middle school. I was glad to see I wasn’t the only one who was nervous about certain things…like changing for PE!” “I am so thankful I learned how to work my locker! And I am really glad I learned how the lunches and PAWS work.”