NJHS Candidate Form
Kilmer Middle School 8100 Wolftrap Road
Vienna, Virginia 22182
October 16, 2021
Dear Eighth Grade Student and Parents/Guardians,
Kilmer’s National Junior Honor Society begins in November with our continued focus on Service Learning. Below are the guidelines for becoming a candidate for Kilmer’s NJHS. Return the NJHS Candidate Application Form and the NJHS Introduction Pear Deck electronically by October 28 to indicate that the student would like to be considered as an NJHS Candidate and that you both understand the NJHS Candidate and Member requirements. Students selected as NJHS Candidates for 2021-2022 will be notified through their school email in the week of November 5.
Selection of NJHS Candidates
- The candidate must be a member of the 8th grade class.
- The candidate must have been in attendance at Kilmer Middle School since at least September 2021.
- The candidate must hold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.70, based on the final mark for 7th grade. Kilmer NJHS membership is incumbent on a cumulative 3.7 GPA (minimum) by the end of the third quarter of the 2021-2022 academic year.
- The NJHS Committee will review candidates’ standing. Students who do not promote scholarship, character, citizenship, leadership and service in the classroom and in their community will not be considered for membership.
- Anyone applying for membership with an honor code violation within the 2021-2022 school year will not be considered for acceptance.
- NJHS activities and service learning information will be posted in Schoology. NJHS activities posted in Schoology must be completed by the deadlines to earn NJHS membership.
- A service learning project must be completed in groups or individually. The FCPS Student Service Learning project will be a major commitment for all NJHS Candidates to demonstrate character, leadership, and citizenship in the Kilmer community and beyond.
- Service learning projects will be completed with regard to FCPS Operational Metrics and guidelines.
- Candidates complete the year by demonstrating their acquired skills and knowledge in a Service Learning Gallery.
REQUIRED FOR STUDENT AND PARENT/GUARDIAN: By October 28, 2021, sign the Google form linked above, complete the NJHS Introduction Pear Deck, and submit both electronically. Timely submission indicates that the student would like to be considered as an NJHS Candidate and that you both understand the requirements of being an NJHS Candidate and Member.