NJHS Parent/Guardian Letter
Kilmer Middle School 8100 Wolftrap Road
Vienna, Virginia 22182
October 6, 2021
Dear Kilmer Parents/Guardians:
Selection for membership in the Kilmer National Junior Honor Society is an honor that may be bestowed upon a student during 8th grade. Your student is receiving this invitation to become a candidate for membership in Kilmer NJHS, as he/she earned a cumulative 3.7 GPA in the 2020-2021 academic year. The National Junior Honor Society recognizes students for outstanding achievements in its five pillars: Scholarship, Character, Leadership, Citizenship and Service. Membership in the society indicates that the student has attained and is demonstrating and promoting all these qualities and is exerting an effort to improve the school and the community. Kilmer’s NJHS begins in November 2021. Candidates must complete the following list, with no exceptions throughout the school year, to be considered in good standing and eligible to become a full-fledged member of Kilmer NJHS at the end of 8th grade.
Selection of NJHS Candidates
- The candidate must be a member of the 8th grade class.
- The candidate must have been in attendance at Kilmer Middle School since at least September 2021.
- The candidate must hold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.70, based on the final mark for 7th grade. Kilmer NJHS membership is incumbent on a cumulative 3.7 GPA (minimum) by the end of the third quarter of the 2021-2022 academic year.
- The NJHS committee will review candidates’ standing. Students who do not promote scholarship, character, citizenship, leadership and service in the classroom and in their community will not be considered for membership.
- Anyone applying for membership with an honor code violation within the 2021-2022 school year will not be considered for acceptance.
- NJHS activities and service learning information will be posted in Schoology. NJHS activities posted in Schoology must be completed by the deadlines to earn NJHS membership.
- A service learning project must be completed in groups or individually. The FCPS Student Service Learning project will be a major commitment for all NJHS candidates to demonstrate character, leadership, and citizenship in the Kilmer community and beyond.
- Service learning projects will be led with FCPS Operational Metrics and guidelines.
- Candidates complete the year by demonstrating their acquired skills and knowledge in a Service Learning Gallery.
NJHS Candidate Application and Introduction Pear Deck Deadline
The completed NJHS Candidate Application Form with student and parent/guardian signatures and completed NJHS Introduction Pear Deck must be received electronically by October 28, 2021. With timely receipt of the NJHS Candidate Application Form and Introduction Pear Deck, the NJHS Committee will assume consent of candidacy and potential membership into National Junior Honor Society. Students selected as NJHS candidates for 2021-2022 will be notified through their school email the week of November 5. The NJHS Committee advises that parents and students review all NJHS materials together in the NJHS Schoology Course throughout the academic year and discuss the expectations.
Membership in the Kilmer Chapter is an honor bestowed upon a student. Once selected, candidates have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate the five pillars of NJHS. Simply filling out the Candidate Form is not a guarantee of membership.
Sincerely, The Kilmer NJHS Committee