NJHS Parent/Guardian Letter
Kilmer Middle School 8100 Wolftrap Road
Vienna, Virginia 22182
October 19, 2020
Dear Kilmer Parents/Guardians:
Selection for membership in the Kilmer National Junior Honor Society is an honor that may be bestowed upon a student during 8th grade. Your student is receiving this invitation to become a candidate for membership in Kilmer NJHS, as he/she earned a cumulative 3.7 GPA in the 2019-2020 academic year. The National Junior Honor Society recognizes students for outstanding achievements in five categories: Scholarship, Character, Leadership, Citizenship and Service. Membership in the society indicates that the student has attained and is demonstrating and promoting all of these qualities and is exerting an effort to improve the school and the community.
Here are the steps potential candidates need to take in order to be considered for Kilmer’s NJHS. While the Kilmer NJHS candidate selection process begins in November 2020, candidates must complete the following list, with no exceptions, throughout the year in order to be considered in good standing and a full-fledged member of Kilmer NJHS.
Selection of NJHS Candidates
- The candidate must be a member of the 8th grade class.
- The candidate must have been in attendance at Kilmer Middle School since at least September 2020.
- The candidate must hold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.70, based on the final mark for 7th grade. Kilmer NJHS membership is incumbent on a cumulative 3.7 GPA (minimum) by the end of the third quarter of the 2020-2021 academic year.
- The NJHS committee will review candidates’ standing. Students who do not promote scholarship, character, citizenship, leadership and service in the classroom and in their community will not be considered for membership.
- Anyone applying for membership with an honor code violation within the 2020-2021 school year will not be considered for acceptance.
- NJHS activities and service learning information will be posted in Schoology. NJHS activities posted in Schoology must be completed by the deadline to earn NJHS membership.
- A service learning project must be completed in groups or individually. The FCPS Student Service Learning project will be a major commitment for all NJHS candidates to demonstrate character, leadership, and citizenship in the Kilmer community and beyond.
- Service learning projects will be completed remotely, adhering to FCPS Operational Metrics and guidelines.
- Candidates complete the year by demonstrating their acquired skills and knowledge in a Service Learning Gallery.
NJHS Candidate Application and Signature Form Deadline
The completed NJHS Candidate Application Form with student and parent/guardian signatures must be received electronically by November 3, 2020.
With receipt of the NJHS Candidate Application Form, the NJHS Committee will assume consent of candidacy and potential membership into National Junior Honor Society. Students selected as NJHS candidates for 2020-2021 will be notified through their school email by November 10. The NJHS Committee advises that parents and students review all NJHS materials together throughout the academic year and discuss the expectations. Membership in the Kilmer Chapter is an honor bestowed upon a student. Once selected, candidates have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate these qualities. Simply filling out the Candidate Form is not a guarantee of membership.
Sincerely, The Kilmer NJHS Committee