Kilmer Weekend Food Program
When school dismisses on Friday, some of our students will leave their classroom, uncertain whether they will have enough food to eat that weekend. During the school week, most of these children depend on the free and reduced meal program here at Kilmer. Kilmer is partnering with our PTA to help feed our students in need. This Program is being established to send these students home with a weekend food pack to help them have enough to eat for the weekend.
We plan to start giving out weekend food packets in mid-December. Distribution will be done in a discreet manner.
What you can do to help - a child will not necessarily tell you that they don’t enough food at home, but through observation, you can begin to see patterns and/or behavior that will set them apart. If you think a student may have food insecurity, please contact his / her counselor or Christine Hessinger, our social worker.
To meet our goal of providing weekend meals to children in need, we are collecting donations beginning November 11, 2019.
If you would like, here’s another way you can help:
- Donate non-perishable food items on the marked carts in the main office (See link below for suggestions of what is donated).
- Shop on this Amazon Wishlist and have the food delivered directly to Kilmer.
- Donate funds directly to the PTA and we’ll do the shopping for you!
- Entrees – Ravioli, stews, and pasta bowls (i.e., Chef Boyardee, Healthy Choice, Hormel Compleats, Annie Chung Noodle Bowls, Barilla Italian Style Entrees)
- Lunch kits (i.e. Tuna fish w/ crackers)
- Individually packaged Goldfish, pretzels
- Soup (pop-top cans or cups)
- Macaroni and cheese (individual cups/packets – microwaveable)
- Boxes of mini-Cereal
- Cereal bars
- Instant Oatmeal
- Pudding cups
- Fruit cups (with pop top lids – no foil lids. i.e. mandarin oranges, mixed fruit)
- Trail mix (individual packs)
- Shelf Stable Milk
- Juice Boxes (100% juice, no sugar added)