NJHS Parent/Guardian Letter
Kilmer Middle School 8100 Wolftrap Road
Vienna, Virginia 22182
August 16, 2019
Dear Kilmer Parents/Guardians:
Selection for membership in the Kilmer National Junior Honor Society is an honor that may be bestowed upon a student during 8th grade. Your student is receiving this invitation to become a candidate for membership in Kilmer NJHS, as he/she earned a cumulative 3.7 GPA in the 2018-2019 academic year. The National Junior Honor Society recognizes students for outstanding achievements in five categories: Scholarship, Character, Leadership, Citizenship and Service. Membership in the society indicates that the student has attained and is demonstrating and promoting all of these qualities, and is exerting an effort to improve conditions in both the school and the community.
Here are the initial steps potential candidates need to take in order to be considered for Kilmer’s NJHS. While the Kilmer NJHS candidate selection process initiates in September 2019, candidates must complete the following list, with no exceptions, throughout the year in order to be considered in good standing and a full fledged member of Kilmer NJHS.
Selection of NJHS Candidates
- The candidate must be a member of the 8th grade class.
- The candidate must have been in attendance at Kilmer Middle School since at least September 2019.
- The candidate must hold a minimum grade point average (GPA) of 3.70, based on the final mark for 7th grade. Kilmer NJHS membership is incumbent on a cumulative 3.7 GPA (minimum) by the end of the third quarter of the 2019-2020 academic year.
- The NJHS committee will review candidates’ standing. Students who do not promote scholarship, character, citizenship, leadership and service in the classroom and in their community will not be considered for membership.
- Anyone applying for membership with an honor code violation within the 2019-2020 school year will not be considered for acceptance.
- NJHS activities, assignments and service learning requirements will be posted in Google Classroom. NJHS assignments posted in Google Classroom must be completed by the deadline to earn NJHS membership.
- A Service Learning Project must be completed in groups or individually. The Kilmer Chapter will use the FCPS Student Service Learning program. The project will require at least 8 hours of service, using Kilmer’s NJHS x2VOL to record the service. The FCPS Student Service Learning project will be a major commitment for all NJHS candidates to demonstrate character, leadership, and citizenship in the Kilmer community and beyond. The service learning hours are in addition to the 15 hours that students should complete for their Civics class. Along with the 8 hours of service recorded in NJHS x2Vol, 7 hours will be required during and after school hours for mandatory student meetings and mentor check-ins.
- The candidate will ask at least two teachers (7th or 8th grade) to complete a Google form to support the candidate’s desire to join NJHS. Candidates not receiving two recommendations will not be eligible for Kilmer NJHS.
NJHS Candidate Form Deadline and Parent Approval
- The completed NJHS Candidate Form (attached) with student and parent/guardian signatures must be submitted to the Main Office by September 17, 2019, by 3:00 p.m.
- Two Kilmer teacher recommendations (8th or 7th grade) via Google Forms must be received by September 17, 2019.
With receipt of the NJHS Candidate Form, the NJHS Committee will assume consent of candidacy and potential membership into National Junior Honor Society. The NJHS Committee advises that parents and students review all NJHS materials together and discuss the expectations.
Membership in the Kilmer Chapter is an honor bestowed upon a student. Once selected, candidates have the responsibility to continue to demonstrate these qualities. Simply filling out the Candidate Form is not a guarantee of membership.
The Kilmer NJHS Committee