Math Course Descriptions
7th Grade Mathematics Comparisons and Course Sequences
Algebra 1 Honors
Each of the following criteria needs to be met for placement in Algebra I Honors at 7th grade:
- Advanced Mathematics 6 or a year-long accelerated mathematics course
- Iowa Algebra Aptitude Test (IAAT) score at or above the 91st percentile
- A score of pass advanced (500 or above) on the Mathematics 7 SOL test
Mathematics 7 Honors (open enrollment)
- has a rigorous pre-algebra foundation with many extensions and enrichment opportunities;
- is an acceleration of the mathematics curriculum;
- requires students to master the content assessed on the Mathematics 8 Standards of Learning (SOL) test;
- is taught with a heavy emphasis on problem-solving.
Students who have not completed Advanced Mathematics 6 may need support and/or require additional effort and study to be successful.
Grade 6 to Mathematics 7 Honors: Content missed includes
- Integer operations
- Understanding the concept of negative exponents using powers of ten
- Multi-step proportional reasoning and percent problems
- Solving two-step equations
- Solving inequalities and graphing the solutions on the number line
- Transformations of polygons on the coordinate plane
- Problems solving involving volume and surface area of cylinders and prisms
- Investigating theoretical and experimental probability
- Using the Fundamental Counting Principle
This course provides the opportunity for students to examine:
- Algebra and geometry preparatory concepts and skills
- Strategies for collecting, analyzing, and interpreting data
- Number concepts and skills with a focus on using rational numbers and understanding proportional reasoning.
Key Takeaway - both Mathematics 7 and Mathematics 7 Honors prepare students for Algebra 1 or Algebra 1 Honors in Grade 8.
Which course is best for your child? Consider the following:
- Open enrollment/Informed decision
- Recommendation of teachers/counselors
- A discussion with child and teacher(s)
- BOTH Mathematics 7 Honors and Mathematics 7 lead to Algebra in 8th grade
- Based on your child’s schedule, what is best for him/her?